Monday, July 23, 2012

Maine ASCA herdign trial July 2012

I had a very fun time at the ASCA trial in Prospect Maine this weekend ! Felt a bit like a USDAA trial with 6 runs with 3 different dogs ! This was my first every duck trial. Frustrating at times but fun too. I havn't worked ducks enough to understand the pressure for them. Well even after all the sheep work I have done, I still am not good at that pressure thing either :< ( Sure would like to feel that damn BUBBLE !!!

Zest and Peak qualified both days so got their started duck titles.



I did started sheep and ducks and Fios was 2nd both days on sheep and 1st with Diane Menard running him on ducks Sunday. I felt too out of control on the ducks with him so did not want to have that happen again. Diane offered to run him and I knew she had great timing and could get him right. He was wild, eyes spinning, foaming at the mouth in the run with me . We got it done but it was FAST and not pretty, He apparently loves ducks ! The comment from judge, Rachel Vest on that duck run with me : Very talented dog.....tons of work ethic !!!! :< ) Rachel Vest was married to Bob Vest the other breeds herding guru. Both Rachel and Jan Weson (the other judge) were very kind and helpful. Jan asked why I did not fun Fios on Sunday so I told her about the spinning eyes and foaming mouth. She laughed and said "You don't want to deal with the scene from Exorcist again ? "


I probably won't do any more arena trials with Fios for some time. I wanted to see how it would go and now I know. Placements mean nothing compared to keeping our team work in tact !


I do think that there was some good stuff for him to know on sheep here. On our last run, he was going to turn the sheep back up the arena after stopping them from escaping to the exhaust and I ran across the field to cut him off and down him ( I don't care that ASCA does not like you to down the dog ! ) He was quite surprised to see me appear in front of him and laid down :< ) He also called back to me and calmly stopped with me so the sheep who were headed for the panels correctly could just go on through and start the cross drive without him cutting them off. He would still love to just gather any running sheep but I finally can control that most of the time. Started is a fetching, wearing course but Fios pretty much drove the whole thing. The sheep were very flighty and sure were not about to come to me. So I drove a Maserati around the arena ..LOL


I attempted open sheep with Peak and Zest. The first day, Peak did a really nice job, gettng the panels and cross drive across the back of the arena. Even though the judge at the briefing talked about taking one or two stock through the panels, chute or pen instead of losing all your points re-attempting, I stupidly tried to get them all in the pen. One went in like 3 times and I could have shut the gate but oh no I am thinking USBCHA and you can't just take one sheep in the pen so around and around we go until the judge says "please go on" . Diane looked at my sheet and said I would have qualified and probably placed if I had shut the gate the first time one went in ..grrrrrr mind gone Betty . I think Peak got me back for being so stupid and would not get off me to do the drive on Sunday and finally flew in and bit me in the knee ! Shortly after that we got "Thank You" from the judge.


Zest was all "Seriously, you spent all that time gettng me to go wide around the sheep and bring them to you, now you want me to move in straight and move them straight away from you ! " That can't be right so while she could cover the escaping sheep, she could not do the drive. The first day she was too hot on the sheep's tails as they ran for the exhaust and one hit the fence so we got "Thank You Mam !" The sheep was fine so no fresh lamb for dogs this week. The 2nd day I couldn't get her to drive so we got "Thank You" again :< (


The dogs got to go swimming and Zest kept coming back in covered in a flowing see weed dress ;< ) Lots of room in the side field for games of fetch after our runs at the trial .


I slept in Laura Hamer's pool room on a big air matress. It was surprisingly comfortable except for the hot body of Fios next to me. He was happy. We went to sleep with the sound of baby duck quacking. Call ducks ar NOISY !! It only bothered me a bit the first night. The baby room was beside the pool room.


The judges were kind and helpful, the other participants were as well. Weather was ok. I would have liked a bit cooler but it was do-able. Sure could have been worse !!!


Diane's students did well: Kathy St. Charles got her open started sheep and I think ducks too ? and a High In Trial on Saturday !!! I got all 3 started duck titles and Fios's started sheep with the 2, 2nd placments and the first on ducks with Diane running him. Barb and Lizzie finished started ducks and got a leg in open ducks and a leg and placement in open sheep. Natalie and aussie Nibbler (very first trial) got 2nd in started ducks on Sunday and I think qualified on Saturday so got their title. Natalie also got a gift each day for being the most appreciative handler. Not exactly the title but she was sweet and thanked everyone after her runs. Diane finished Dually's Advanced duck title. I don't think she ran Dare. And I think got something on cattle as well. Can't keep everything straight, sorry.


I kind of fell in love with the looks and work (fast and crazy..hmmmm silly Betty) of Matt Mason's aussie "Asa" ? I could see that body and attitude flying around an agility course !!


There were some really nice dogs. Lots of aussies of course, a bunch of really nice working cattle dogs, a couple cardigan corgies (one got HIT other breed on Saturday ) a Terv and an Old English and 3 or 4 other border collies.


On the way home, I called Sheryl who was taking care of Ava. She said, Ava was ignoring the pond until she saw the ducks swimming and took a flying leap off the dock and off after the ducks. Sheryl was happy she had a long line on her and could reel her in ! Ava had a blast working ducks in the water :< ) Looks like I have 4 duck dogs now and one is a dock diving duck dog ..LOL


I feel so thick about learning good stock work :< ( But I'll keep on trying. It's an excellent adventure (vbg) !

No comments:

Post a Comment